I love reading. It’s a great distraction from reality, and I learn something new with each page I turn. When my husband left for his second deployment I gathered what military spouse books I could find and dove in. These are my favorites, and I’m even bold enough to say that they are what got me through that deployment.
*Disclaimer-This post may contain affiliate links, but every link leads you to products that I have used and love! Running a blog is not cheap and turning the links into affiliates helps to off-set the cost. Read the full disclosure here. *
- The 5 Love Languages Military Edition: The Secret to Love That Lasts – The 5 Love Languages is an amazing book that has helped many couples learn about their differences, and how to accept them to strengthen their marriage. The military edition helps military couples learn how to overcome differences and difficulties of their marriage from a military life perspective. A must read for every married military couple!
- Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives – This book is centered around gaining encouragement during deployments through having faith. It has heartfelt stories and advice given from military wives from all branches of the military. It leaves you wanting more, so thankfully they have a 2nd book: Faith Deployed…Again: More Daily Encouragement for Military Wives
- Chicken Soup for the Military Wife’s Soul: 101 Stories to Touch the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit – All of the books in this list have helped me in so many ways. This book, however, is my all-time favorite. It has me full of tears, laughter, and pride every time I read it. I love the Chicken Soup for the Soul series because they are full of real-life stories that are heartfelt. They also are short stories, so for the busy working wives or moms that don’t have a lot of time, these short stories are easy and quick reads.
- Confessions of a Military Wife – The author of this book portrays well the challenges of military life. Reading this book will reiterate to you that you are not alone in this journey.
- Married to the Military: A Survival Guide for Military Wives, Girlfriends, and Women in Uniform – This book is great for those new spouses who are trying to gain some traction on what it means to be a military spouse. It has explanations on deployments, moving, benefits, and so much more!
- Separated By Duty, United In Love – This book gives good advice on how to cope with challenges of military life. The author lists specific examples of struggles we all face, and ways to overcome them.
- Chicken Soup for the Soul: Military Families: 101 Stories about the Force Behind the Forces – My story Fly was published in this book, so I may be a little biased, but for the same reasons as #3, I just love the Chicken Soup series and all that they have to offer. For every Military Families book purchased some proceeds will go to helping the USO. What military spouse doesn’t love the USO?
- You Are Not Alone: Encouragement for the Heart of a Military Spouse – This book had me crying and laughing at the same time! Sprinkled with scripture references, quotes, real experiences, and great advice, Jen McDonald knows what being a military wife is like and portrays it well in her book.
- 1001 Things to Love About Military Life – This book is one of my favorites! I started reading it on a dark day during a deployment and I couldn’t put it down! By the end of it my heart was swelling with pride. It just simply lists aspects of military life experienced by no other, but it had me nodding in agreement on every page.
- Journey of a Military Wife: Dedicated: Steps of Faith in God’s Plan – This book has some amazing insight into how you can tie religion into living military life. If you’re religious then check out this book. It definitely can provide some peace and comfort during those difficult days.
- Navy Woman – If you’re a fan of Debbie Macomber then this book is for you! Her work is fiction, but sometimes it’s nice to take a break and get lost in a good fiction romance story. This one is centered around military loves. She also has a book called Navy Wife