When my husband decided to transition out of the military I scoured the internet for any resource I could find on advice for civilian life. These 6 books gave me the information and skills that I was looking for.
*Disclaimer-This post may contain affiliate links, but every link leads you to products that I have used and love! Running a blog is not cheap and turning the links into affiliates helps to off-set the cost. Read the full disclosure here. *
- 2017 US Department of Labor Employment Workshop Participant Guide: Transition from Military to Civilian Workforce – This one has a super long title, but it’s full of information on resume writing, job hunting, negotiating salary, and more. It has sections where you can write in your notes and thoughts. You should get this book when you attend your TAPS/GPS class, but I love this free kindle edition of it so that I can have it with me everywhere I go. Spouses of the active-duty member can attend the TAPS/GPS class! I joined my husband the first time he took the class and I learned a lot about helping him through the military to civilian transition.
- Change of Mission: How To Successfully Transition From the Military To The Civilian Working World – This book is great for short and long term preparedness for the day you get out.
- How to Win Friends & Influence People – This book is one of my favorites. It walks you through gaining the skills you need to affectively network and find jobs. It’s not just for military members, their spouses looking for work can learn a lot from this too! The author also wrote a book specific to the digital age:
- How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age – As much as some people try to fight it, we live in a digital age. This book touches on some great points of networking and finding jobs digitally.
- Business Networking for Veterans: A Guidebook for a Successful Military Transition into the Civilian Workforce (2nd Edition) – This book is written by Veterans who have made the military to civilian transition. They walk you through the realities of civilian life and how to be prepared to thrive in it. My second favorite!
- LinkedIn For Military: A Guide to Transitioning from Active Duty to Civilian Life – This short kindle edition book will walk you through how to create a strong media presence through LinkedIn. It’s a great resource for networking and reaching out to those who can help you find a job, or who are looking to hiring. All the advice you need on a LinkedIn profile for just $1!