PCS Orders to Naval Weapons Station Charleston: To Do Checklist
- Join the NWS Charleston Facebook pages– This one is the go-to page for all things buying/selling. This page is a place for questions, advice, and making friends. I love this Facebook page because here I could ask questions about the base and local places.
- Living on Base? Contact Balfour Beatty and let them know you’re coming. Here’s their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NWSCharlestonHomes/. These guys tend to have a bad reputation because of the “old” side of housing and wives just like to make a big deal out of things. This military housing community honestly is the best community we’ve lived in out of the 3 duty stations that we’ve lived at. The old housing is super nice compared to most normal housing on other bases so don’t be hating on it! Some of the housing is old and maintenance may sometimes be slow, but these guys were AMAZING compared to other bases where we didn’t have heat in 30-degree weather and maintenance didn’t care. So, take Balfour Beatty for what it’s worth: enjoy the location, having your own mailbox and driveway, and letting the water run all you want without having to foot the bill (although not entirely eco-friendly). Keep in mind that the Naval Weapons Station is usually the first duty station for many, so if you want quality military advice then dig around and find a seasoned military spouse for advice.
- Revamp Your Wardrobe– South Carolina is a very hot and humid place year-round. If you are coming from further north be sure to stash away your coats and invest in flip flops and shorts.
- Check out the base website for classes offered and a directory.
- Once You’re all settled in read this post on all of the fun things to do in the area. Charleston, South Carolina is an amazing place full of history and tons of things to do. If this is your first stop in the Navy then welcome! Nuke school is very challenging, but so very rewarding, so be proud of your Sailor (or yourself if you’re the active-duty member) and enjoy your time in Charleston!