Out of the 3 duty stations that we’ve lived at, Kings Bay was our favorite! It’s so beautiful and there’s a lot to do. Be sure to look over this list for some helpful insight on the area once you get orders. Welcome to Georgia!
- Join the local Facebook pages– This one is the wives page for the military base. It’s the group where you can ask questions and receive advice. There are a lot of buying/selling pages for the area but this one and this one are my favorites. Make sure to like the local police department’s Facebook page as well. These guys will keep you informed and give you a good laugh almost daily.
- Living in Base housing? Don’t. Base housing in Georgia, in my opinion, is beyond terrible. Think no air conditioning in 90-degree weather, and 7 months pregnant with a deployed husband, kind of terrible. If you want to try out the base housing though then check out their website and let them know you are coming so that they can pretend to reserve you a place to live (see my hidden distain there. For reals though, there’s a reason why they have 1 star ratings on google). I do understand that sometimes it’s best to live on base for a few months first to scope out the area for a better place to live. If you choose to live in their 2 bedroom unrenovated units then they do not take all of your BAH. That’s a silver lining, but you have to specifically ask for a 2 bedroom unrenovated unit and then remind them that they don’t take all BAH with those. They like to be sneaky. St. Mary’s and Kingsland is a pretty safe place to live, so pretty much any off base apartment or neighborhood is a great alternative to on-base housing. If you’d like advice from people currently stationed there then ask away on the Facebook page and you’ll find tons of great advice and friends.
- Once you know your husbands command, then join the FRG. They can be a great resource during deployments, or a place to make friends if you are going for shore duty.
- Once you’re all settled in check out this post for things to do Savannah. Kings Bay is in a great location for exploring, site seeing, and vacations. It’s close to Disneyworld, Atlanta, Savannah, and so much more. It’s only a 5-hour plane ride away from the Bahamas!
- Know the hurricane evacuation route. I was so grateful that I knew it when Hurricane Matthew came through and I had to evacuate. Read this post on what I did to make sure I was prepared, and how it helped make evacuating with a deployed husband much easier that it could have been.
- Download the base app. It’s called “NavyMWR Kings Bay” It’s extremely helpful to have addresses, class times, movie times, and phone numbers of everything on base right on your phone.
- Check out the base website for more information.